By leveraging Transfix Insights, this shipper reduced loading times by 260% and saved $30K dollars in detention costs at one facility alone
CONSISTENTLY LONG LOADING TIMES AT FACILITY LED TO DELAYS AND HIGH DETENTION CHARGES
Transfix worked with a large shipper who had a complex and ever-evolving supply chain. In order to meet growing consumer demand, they invested significantly to create distribution hubs to get their inventory into their 6K+ retail stores more quickly and efficiently. However, one of these facilities was problematic and accounted for nearly 90% of accessorial charges for the shipper. Drivers delivering at this facility often were stuck waiting to load for hours. As seen in the graph below, Tuesday was a particularly difficult day, with an average loading time of nearly 6 hours for Transfix shipments. In addition, many Tuesday afternoon appointments were pushed until Wednesday, the following day, which meant the driver was stuck overnight. For the shipper, the loading problem meant:
- High accessorial costs from detention and TONU payments
- Late deliveries to retail stores
- More difficulty securing carriers to come to this facility
TRANSFIX IDENTIFIED THE PROBLEM THROUGH DATA AND PARTNERED WITH SHIPPER TO REMEDY IT
Transfix consistently and proactively looks for ways to partner with shippers beyond moving freight at extremely high service levels. Through technology-driven, value-added services, we help shippers solve some of their most pressing and difficult supply-chain related problems at no additional cost.
For this shipper, Transfix was uniquely suited to solve their problem for two reasons. First, Transfix had access to valuable, proprietary data through offering real-time tracking through our driver mobile app. This technology gave us visibility into exactly when the drivers arrived, loaded, and ultimately left each facility. The shipper did not previously have visibility into this data.
Second, our team, which expertly combines the best of technology and logistics, was able to translate Transfix’s unique data into an actionable recommendation for the customer. Through our Transfix Insights service, we identified the problem, proposed a solution to the shipper, and partnered with them to reschedule their delivery appointments in order to more effectively spread the Tuesday traffic more evenly throughout the rest of the week.
TRANSFIX INSIGHTS HELPED DRIVE SIGNIFICANT REDUCTION IN LOADING TIMES AND DETENTION COSTS
- 4 hour reduction in average loading time: By allocating appointment times across the week, rather than on Tuesdays, Transfix helped reduce the average loading time from 5.6 hours to 1.6 hours in just two months.
- Saved $30K in detention costs in just 5 months: In reducing loading times, Transfix helped the shipper save tens of thousands of detention costs, directly impacting the bottom line.
- Unprecedented visibility: Through Transfix Insights, the shipper gained unprecedented visibility into their operational and facility performance.
Because we were able to drive such strong results for the shipper through our high service levels and value-added insights, the shipper significantly increased Transfix’s award.